ILiADS 2021 Code of Conduct
At the Institute for Liberal Arts Digital Scholarship (ILiADS) we want everyone to feel welcome, included, and safe throughout the event. This Code of Conduct sets expectations for all participants, provides steps to report violations of the Code, and lists possible consequences for would-be-violators. ILiADS does not tolerate harassment and discrimination in any form.
ILiADS sets a tone of encouragement for mutual respect and growth. In this spirit, participation in our event is grounded in the following Community Agreements:
- We encourage discussions that focus on the work, not the person.
- We practice active listening and engagement.
- We assume good intentions but own negative effects.
- We give credit where credit is due.
- We value transparency.
- We support one another’s work and welcome support for our own.
- We value fair and transparent labor relationships, and we work actively to counter exploitation.
These agreements build on our commitment to abiding by Macalester College, our hosting institution’s anti-discrimination policies. See Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Policy at Macalester College.
When communicating face-to-face with someone, we are used to having facial expressions, gestures, and tone of voice to communicate with and convey meaning. However, when communicating online, all we have are words on the screen (which can be very easily misinterpreted). Please remember that you are talking to another human being when typing a message in a forum or other digital communication. For more information, see Learning, Community, and Engagement at Macalester College.
Behaviors not tolerated:
Discrimination and harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Comments or actions that minimize a person’s experiences, identity, or safety
- Deliberate misgendering
- Deliberate revealing of a person’s experiences or identity without their consent
- Deliberate use of a person’s non-preferred name
- Sustained disruption during sessions or other events or gatherings
- Deliberate intimidation or stalking of any kind
- Deliberately contacting a person after they have requested contact to stop
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Distribution of harassing photography or recordings without explicit consent (including screen capture of Zoom meetings)
- Threats or acts of violence
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
Discrimination/harassment is not:
- Feeling singled out or persecuted for your social privilege
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you”
- Refusal to explain or debate social justice issues when the person being asked is put in a defensive position based on their experience, personal identity, or safety
- Communication in a tone you don’t find congenial
- Discussion of sensitive topics
- Criticism of racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
- “Reverse” -isms, including “reverse racism,” “reverse sexism,” and “cisphobia”
How to report a violation of the Code of Conduct:
If you have been involved in or witnessed an incident during ILiADS that you believe violates this Code of Conduct, you can report it in three ways:
- Email: Sonia Chaidez, ILiADS’ Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator: email@example.com
- You will receive a response within 24 hours
- Slack: Direct Message Sonia Chaidez, ILiADS’ Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator
- You will receive a response within 24 hours
- Google form: a form will be provided for anonymous reporting
- Please note: due to the anonymous nature of the report, our ability to follow up may be limited.
The ILiADS Steering Committee will expeditiously and confidentially examine all incidents reported before, during, and after the event. We reserve the right to take actions we deem necessary at any time to remedy disruptive behavior that renders the conference experience unsafe for participants. Anyone found to be in violation of this Code of Conduct may be subject to sanctions, including without limitation:
- Require immediate compliance with the Committee’s decision
- Immediate cessation of harassing or disruptive behavior
- Removal of or declining to post a presenter’s talk online (if violation occurred during a presentation)
- Immediate removal from the ILiADS event
- Temporary or permanent ban from any future ILiADS events including participation, attendance, reviewing, and/or planning
This Code of Conduct was inspired by and borrows language from the codes of conduct drafted by Global Digital Humanities Symposium which includes references by Museum Computer Network, The Digital Library Federation, Digital Frontiers, and the University of Kansas Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities.